- Montreal 2024
Developing Restful JSON API fro, scratch is a complex task as it involves many different concepts such as HTTP request / response handling, content negotiation, data validation, data serialization, errors handling, etc. Fortunately, the PHP & Symfony ecosystems have Open-Source libraries such as API Platform to ease the development of Restful JSON Web services. API Platform is a framework for building Restful JSON API endpoint. It implements all common Rest architecture concepts and provides all necessary tools and configuration layers to Web developers, so that they can focus on the business logic of their APIs. In this workshop, attendees will get started with the API Platform framework and build their first Resftul JSON Web services for an existing application.
- Installing & running API Platform
- Configuring API Platform within a Symfony application
- Mapping Doctrine entities and plain old PHP object as API resources
- Setting up basic CRUD operations for an API resource
- Implementing custom API operations for an API resource
- Controlling the serialization of API resource (hiding or exposing data at will)
- Validating input HTTP request payload
- Handling errors
- Generation the API endpoints documentation in OpenAPI format
- Securing API endpoints with standard authentication mechanisms
- Overriding default API Platform behavior and flows with custom extensions
Each attendee is required to bring their own laptop equipped with the at least the following software configuration:
- PHP 8.2 with enabled extensions: PDO, openssl, mbstring, intl, iconv, xdebug, zip, xml, dom
- PostgreSQL or MySQL server
- Docker (optional)
- The IDEA of their choice they are more comfortable with (PHPStorm highly recommended)
- 1 day
- 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
- 1 hour lunch break included at the hotel's restaurant
- 15 min coffee break every morning and afternoon
The whole workshop will be delivered in English by a French native speaking trainer.
The workshop is highly practical and mainly targeted to PHP & Symfony backend developers who want to acquire the best practices of the API Platform 3 framework. A good knowledge of the PHP language, object oriented programming as well as some Symfony basic experience is highly recommended to jump onto this course.
Please be advised that the trainer will make his best to accommodate everyone’s technical requirements at the beginning of the workshop but without any guarantee according to the number of participants. In order for everyone to take the most of this training, we strongly advised each attendee to check their software configuration before the first day of the workshop takes place.